Some of the advantages of mediation include:
• Mediation is less expensive than traditional litigation, making it economically feasible for most couples.
• Mediation reduces the fears associated with divorce, legal separation and child custody issues.
• Mediation does not require court appearances.
• Mediation avoids the polarization and hostility that often result from court proceedings.
• Parties are directly involved in the decision making process.
• Mediation allows the parties to move at a mutually agreeable pace, usually taking a fraction of the time compared to court proceedings.
• Mediation allows parties to establish a level of communication and cooperation.
• It allows for the development of a parenting plan and to be in everyone’s best interest, especially the children.
• Settlement discussions are private and confidential. Mediation promotes a safe arena for individuals to consider options and alternatives, without the fear that their statements will be used against them in court or elsewhere.
• The cost of going to court and pursuing an adversarial process is extremely expensive and burdensome to families financially and emotionally.